1. People are not for hitting and children are people, too.
2. I've watched people spank, swat and slap children who are getting in trouble for hitting, kicking or throwing toys. It makes no sense to me to teach non-violence with violence. I can't imagine it make sense to a two-year-old or four-year-old.
3. My heart broke when I heard my four-year-old say to my two-year-old, "Keep doing that and I'm going to spank you" - especially as a mother who doesn't spank.
4. A wise man once told me that we'll only hit if we're angry and we should never hit when we're angry.
5. Spanking and discipline are not synonymous. We can discipline, set limits, and so forth without physical violence.
6. As much as I want my children to choose the right behaviors, I don't want that to happen because of fear. I desire to motivate my children in other ways.
7. I simply do not believe that spanking is what God desires.
If you'd like to read more, go see what Sarah had to say on this topic at Emerging Mummy. She says it well.
And for more Quick Takes visit Jennifer @ Conversion Diary.