Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bigger Picture #1: Every Moment Matters


Last night some good friends had their second beautiful daughter. Seeing her for the first time, 6 pounds 12 ounces, not yet cleaned up, learning how to use her tongue, finding her voice...I was amazed in those usual and yet overwhelming and always new ways that I find myself experiencing whenever I am that close to new life. As I left the hospital, I found myself in awe again of creation, of birth, of life.


I also found myself aware of something else. Having last been in that birthing center 847 days ago (could it possibly have been that long?) when I gave birth to my second son, as I walked away I realized that every moment matters. From that first breath right up until the last, every single moment matters. Taking time to tell my sons I love them before leaving them at daycare matters even if it doesn't seem they hear me. Letting the two-year-old open his own fruit snacks or yes, even his own milk, matters even if it's a slower and messier process. Responding with patience to the four-year-old when he has none matters even if it's difficult for me. Apologizing when I need to...seeking and speaking forgiveness...listening...taking time to notice who they are...every moment matters.


Some moments pass us by. In some moments we forget they matter. Sometimes we just make the moments worse than they need to be. And we can't get them back. But in this moment and the next we can start again.


A sweet little baby being cuddled in her loving momma's arms reminded me of that tonight. Thank you, precious girl.

For more Bigger Picture Moments visit Hyacynth at Undercover Mother or head to Bigger Picture Blogs to learn more about Bigger Picture Moments.

9 comments:

Melissa Haak said...

So beautiful and so true, I have goosebumps. Now I'm going to go hug my kids!

Corinne Cunningham said...

What a beautiful moment to learn from... such a precious gift.

Anonymous said...

So glad to meet you through Bigger Picture Blogs. Lovely, lovely post. I am particularly struck by: "But in this moment and the next we can start again." Thank you for the beauty of such important, mindful words. I really like that!

Amy said...

I think I need reminders like this every day.

Hyacynth said...

Oh, bundles of baby always make me think about how precious each moment is, too. Lovely sentiments.
Thanks for linking up today.

Alita said...

What a gift!

Thank you for sharing your bigger picture.

This Heavenly Life said...

It IS easy to get from 'sweet, tiny baby' to 'sweet, grown child' and forget that each moment is....momentous :) I love your thoughtfulness!

Thank you SO much for linking up today! Yay!

krissilugbill said...

so lovely. Thank you for this reminder...its so true. every moment does matter and its all important, the big and the small stuff! love how you said that we can start again in this moment and the next! i wanna try to keep that with me this week :)

rebecca @ altared spaces said...

Brand new life always gets me sentimental. Puts life into perspective in a hurry, doesn't it?