Thursday, April 15, 2010

Right For Right's Sake

Several years ago I sat in an adult Sunday school class. I can't remember the topic at hand. I can't even remember the direction the conversation had gone, but I suspect we ended up talking about disciplining children. All I really remember is the statement that came out of my mouth.

"I wonder what the world would be like if we raised an entire generation not motivated by fear or threat or punishment, but if we figured out a way to raise them to do what's right simply because it's right."

The room went silent. There were confused expressions on most of the faces. I was told that I'd understand when I had children of my own.

I now have children of my own. I still wonder.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I have made comments like that before. =) I'm an idealist and I believe we CAN raise children like that. It's about respect!! Respect children, they will respect you. And grow to be self-respecting. So, good job, and we'll get through to all the other parents one way or another...

Corinne Cunningham said...

I think that is a wonderful way to look at parenting. That's what I strive for (and we don't get there half the time...)
But it's modeling how to live through our interaction with our children (like you mentioned in your previous post...)
Loved reading your first posts! Came over from Sarah at This Heavenly Life, and will be sticking around :)

Jill said...

Laura and Corinne, thanks for joining me on this journey. I'll look forward to continued conversation.

Sarah, thanks for including my new blog on your Quick Takes! I'm honored.