Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Being a Soccer Mom

As I mentioned in this post, I was reluctant to sign my five-year-old up for soccer. And yet I did so, in fact more eagerly than I would have imagined.


Today I was reminded of why I was reluctant.


As we got ready for our day, I reminded the five-year-old of his soccer game tonight (we are on game 5 of 7). I anticipated excitement as we gathered his soccer clothes. Instead, I got this...


I don't want to play soccer anymore, Mom.


WHAT?!?! (I thought this rather than shouting it)


I wasn't sure how to respond.


We talked about responsibility when we make commitments.


We talked about how much fun he has when he's playing.


We talked about his older brother who will be at the game tonight.


We talked about the fact that playing was his idea.


And after all that he said...


But I don't want to play soccer anymore, Mom.


I have to pick him up in less than an hour. The game is an hour and a half away. I still don't know how I'm going to handle this.


I watched another mother drag a crying, reluctant child in to a game a few weeks ago. I don't want to do that.


But, I'm not sure what I will do.


I've prayed all day that by the time I pick him up he will have changed his mind.


But he might not...



Any suggestions?

4 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Oh no! I wish I would have seen this earlier :/ Not that I have any really good advice....did it go okay?

We're going through this with Mia and ballet right now. She loves every minute of it while she's there, dancing, but very often as we're getting ready to go, she'll burst and refuse and sob.

In her case, I think it's more of a frustration with being rushed -- ballet mornings never seem to go smoothly. Is it bad that I don't really believe her when she says she hates ballet? But C sounds fairly...calm and in control here. Like maybe he just DOESN'T want to do it anymore. He's bored with it or something.

I've told Mia that we've already paid for the class, so we'll finish what we paid for, then if she still wants to quit, we will. But I've held her off with new legwarmers...a new leotard. The accessories are cooler than the actual class, apparently :)

Can you buy C some cute new soccer gear?? Heh :)

Jill said...

Sarah, thankfully when I picked him up from daycare, although he still said he didn't want to play, he was willing and we went to soccer without a fight. Two games left...hopefully we'll do those as easily. And he played fabulously (scoring 7 goals) and looked like he was having fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went okay! It's one of the reasons I haven't enrolled my kids in any activities yet - they're so fickle and I worry about just that kind of scenario. I hope you have an easier time next week...

Jill said...

Thanks, Robin...from you lips to God's ears! :) Yes, this was exactly why I didn't think we should enroll them yet...oh well, live and learn.