Friday, July 2, 2010

Quick Takes, #6: A Week Without Children

Since my children have been gone all week, it seems fitting that my Quick Takes might be about what I did without my children.


#1: I worked. I worked long hours. I enjoyed working long hours. I wouldn't trade my kids for anything, but (please don't hate me for saying this) it is nice to go to work early and stay late and do it without guilt.

#2: I had adult conversation with my husband. If you can imagine it, I'm not sure that we had a single conversation that had anything to do with going to the bathroom. When the kids are home I'm not sure we get through a day without "potty talk."

#3: I ate out. I may have mentioned this earlier in the week, but I nearly declared the kitchen off limits. One night we did heat up some leftovers that were too yummy to risk having to throw away, but other than that we've been eating out and...are you ready?...not once at McDonalds! Who knew it was possible?

#4: I read a book. A whole book. In one day. Because I could.

#5: I spent time with friends. I had an evening out with a newer, but dear friend who moved away on Tuesday and I have plans today to get together with an old friend (old enough that she knows what I looked like in the 80's - blessings on her) who will be visiting her in-laws not too far away. We last sat face-to-face almost a year ago.

#6: I went to bed early and mostly got up when my body, rather than the alarm, decided. Enough said.

#7: I made phone calls to Iowa...longing to know what my children were doing...a little sad when they were too busy to talk to me (because I wanted to talk to them)...a little happy when they were too busy to talk to me (because they love their Aunt and their grandparents and are so happy and so loved right where they are).

It has been a good week. But, for as good as the week has been, I will happily trade it for a rushed end of the workday, conversations about poop and pee and a McDonald's Happy Meal...hmmm, Chicken McNuggets are sounding good right about now.

Hop on over to Conversion Diary and check out some more Quick Takes.

3 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Sounds like a relaxing week, for sure!

Now...what book did you read?!

Jill said...

I read "Sundays at Tiffanys" by James Patterson. I've not read other things he's written, but understand it's not his usual kind of writing. It's a story of a girl and her imaginary friend...far more to it than that, but basically that's what it was. Just a nice novel...mindless...feel good - you know the kind. :)

Anonymous said...

Jill, I think you read my bigger picture post about solitude so you know how I feel about time without kids. It's an opportunity to recharge and reconnect with ourselves, and I am certain healthy to do when we can. And it reminds us how much we really do love them! Abscence does make the heart grow fonder.

P.S. Love it here and that we have connected. I'm looking forward to all our future "conversations."